If you have some spare time, volunteering can be a highly rewarding experience in which you can:
- Gain confidence: Volunteering can help you gain confidence by giving you the chance to try something new and build a real sense of achievement.
- Make a difference: Volunteering can have a real and valuable positive effect on people, communities and society in general.
- Meet people: Volunteering can help you meet different kinds of people and make new friends.
- Be part of a community: Volunteering can help you feel part of something outside your friends and family.
- Learn new skills: Volunteering can help you learn new skills, gain experience and sometimes even qualifications.
- Take on a challenge: Through volunteering you can challenge yourself to try something different, achieve personal goals, practice using your skills and discover hidden talents.
- Have fun!: Most volunteers have a great time, regardless of why they do it.
Volunteers are at the heart of The Folly and work alongside paid staff in a number of roles.
Without our committed and skilled volunteers, The Folly would not be able to function effectively and the Trust would be unable to fulfil its charitable objectives
Whether our roles are paid or voluntary, we work as a team in which everyone’s contribution is highly valued.
The opening of The Folly Coffee House in June 2017 has created a number of volunteering opportunities for anyone with an interest in catering.
Roles for volunteers in the Coffee House
There are opportunities for volunteers both ‘front of house’ and in the kitchen.
Examples of roles for which you could volunteer are:
Front of house
- Taking orders and collecting payment
- Making tea and coffee
- Serving customers
- Clearing tables
- Assisting the cook
- Baking cakes
- Preparing food
- Washing up
Skills and Experience
The main qualifications for a role as a volunteer are:
- Positive ‘can do’ attitude
But even better, it would be great if you have:
- Experience of working with food
- Ability to communicate with a wide variety of people
- A passion for customer service
If you would like to be considered for a volunteering role within The Folly Coffee House, please contact us to arrange an informal chat to explore the opportunities.